Posts tagged diy home
Gallery Art Wall - DIY Batman Art
Brian has been living in our apartment for almost a year and a half.  To keep the place feeling fresh we've been rearranging our art, accessories, and such.  We can't really move the furniture to any other configuration in the living room than we have, so moving other stuff around helps a lot.  A few months ago we took down our big Printstagram posters to start creating a gallery wall.  We've slowly been adding art as we go.

I've repainted that big horizontal canvas three times, but I still don't love it.  What I do love is the rest of the art and the little things on the wall that aren't really "art."  The wood cutouts and other canvases are from Michaels.  We've filled in with these smaller pieces like the green one I painted with a bear, a beet, and the symbol of Battlestar Gallactica (hey-o Office fans).  You can see how to make the sunglasses holder here.  Brian suggested I paint a big Bat Signal, but that seemed a bit too much.  I decided to paint a small one on this wood plaque instead.  He was still happy.

To make his bat signal I started with the inexpensive wood plaque.  I did a pencil outline then carefully painted it in.  Once it was dry I hung it up with 3M Command poster strips.  They're like Velcro, so you can easily re-position things you hang with them.  The majority of the art on the wall is hung with them.  We're still not finished, as you can tell by the blank area above our riverboat poster.  It's evolving, a work in progress, but we're getting there.  ♥ Mallory

DIY Sunglasses Holder
As you can tell, I really love sunglasses.  I tend to lose and/or break them pretty easily because they get crammed in the bottom of my purse or dropped into our key bowl.  To avoid breaking them and to add to our living room gallery wall I made a super simple wood holder then mounted it to the wall with command strips.  I had all of the supplies from wedding projects and other DIYs already, but it's all available at Michaels or another craft store.  I used one, 1/2" wood strip, one 6"x10" pine plank, hot glue, a staple gun, and an X-Acto knife.

I cut 4 wood strips 1" shorter than the short side of the plank.  I doubled them up and hot glued them down, one layer at a time.  I also put in some staples for good measure, though it probably wasn't necessary.  Then the final step is adding a Command Strip (like these) cut in half to fit on the 1/2" strip.

If you are a perfectionist like I am, use a level when you stick it on to the wall.  If you aren't just wing it because these strips let you reposition them.  They work like velcro.  Half of the art in our house is hanging with these guys.  As always if you do this project let me know!  It's so easy & functional!  ♥ Mallory

DIY - Movie Stub Pillow
I'm sure I've mentioned quite a few times that Brian and I saw Wall-e at the theater on our first date.  I am a pack rat romantic, and happened to save the ticket.  Brian framed it for me with some photos for our first anniversary of dating.  So, while I was shopping for fabric for pillows for our couch I saw packs of printable fabric at Hancock & thought it would be great to have the ticket blown up on one.  There were quite a few different options for printable fabric, but I used EQ Printables Inkjet Fabric Sheets because my favorite guy that works there recommended it.  It also has the best reviews on Amazon.

First, we scanned the ticket and did a test print on regular paper.  We didn't even Photoshop the image, we printed directly from Preview.  On the preview we made sure the print filled up most of the page with at least 1/4" border.  We followed the instructions on the back of the packet after that.  We also cut out 2 pieces of upholstery fabric I already had at 12"x15" to be the pillow front and back.  The cotton printer fabric is pretty thin & needs a bit more body.

Make sure you follow all of the steps for colorfastness (I read online that including fabric softener helps).  It will still lighten a bit when you rinse it, but I like the softer orange color.  I'm not a huge fan of the color orange.  I also used a fabric pen to touch up the black writing because my ticket is getting pretty faded.

Once the print was dry (I got impatient & used a hairdryer) we trimmed the edges to 1/4" past the print then ironed that 1/4" under all the way around.  Using a ruler to make sure the image was centered we pinned it down to one of the bigger pieces of upholstery fabric.  We top stitched the printed piece down to the front piece of the pillow very close the edge, lifting the foot and pivoting on the corners.

We then layered the pillow front and back together with the two good sides of the fabric touching.  Leaving a couple inches as a gap we sewed around the two layers half an inch away from the edges pivoting on corners again.  Clip off the corners right outside the stitch line any time you turn a corner inside out.  Turn the pillow right side out using the gap we left open.

Using the hole we left open we stuffed the pillow using Poly-fil, but you can also use cotton stuffing.  My mom then hand sewed the pillow closed with a whip stitch, making sure to keep the stitches as close together as possible to hide the thread.  Now Brian and I have a perfect reminder of our first date in our living room.  ♥ Mallory

Project by Mallory & Darlene (her mom).